Skip to main content
This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. More info
a a


Vocational Qualification in Business and Administration

Am I entitled to medical care?

As soon as you register at the population register office you have the same right to medical care as everyone else living in Finland. If you are an EU/EEA or non EU/EEA citizen, you need to register at the Migration Board. You must show that you have comprehensive medical insurance that is valid in Finland. (This applies even if you will be registered at the population register office.)

May I take paid work at weekends during holiday period?

The residence permit for studies enables you to work without restrictions if your work is related to your degree. This means e.g. practical training. You also have a right to have other jobs but the following restrictions apply:

You may only work for an average of 25 hours per week during the academic terms. The number of working hours is not restricted on a weekly level. This means that you can adjust your weekly working hours during the academic term, as long as you work for 25 hours a week on average.

You can work without restrictions at the times when your educational institution offers no instruction, that is, during summer and Christmas holidays.

What will happen if I fall ill during my stay in Finland?

As a student, you must personally cover the costs if you become ill in Finland. In order to get a residence permit, you must take out private insurance that will cover your medical and drug expenses.

How much money do you have to be able to show that you have at your disposal if you wish to come here as student?

You must have at least EUR 560 at your disposal every month to be able to pay for your accommodation, food and other needs. In other words, you must have EUR 6,720 to be able to study in Finland for a year.

What should I do if the embassy says it has not been notified of the decision?

When submitting your application, you should come to some agreement with the embassy concerning how and when they should contact you. You should also make sure the embassy has the right address and phone number so that they can reach you. It sometimes takes time before the embassy gets in touch. This may be due to the embassy’s internal routine procedures.

How long does it take for the Migration Board’s decision to reach the embassy?

Migration board notifies the embassy immediately after making the decision.

Can I get the decision in English?

The Finnish authorities do not translate decisions. But, you can get a decision in English, if you request that in advance.

Residence permit

You will need to acquire a residence permit before you arrive in Finland if you are a non-EU/EEA citizen and intend to stay studying in Finland.

The residence permits are issued by the Finnish Migration Board. (Note: Not by the college!). Once you are accepted to study at Tampere Vocational College, you will receive a Letter of Acceptance. Keep this letter safely, as you will need it for your residence permit application.

Pay attention that the Migration Board can withdraw the residence permit if:

You do not report the study place upon your arrival in Finland (e.g. you arrive in Finland with a tourist visa).

You fail to accomplish courses according the study schedule (e.g. you fail in too many exams or cannot meet the requirements of the courses).

You do not show up at lessons (You must be present at least 80% of the lessons. 20% is absence in accepted due to illness or other reasons.).

You do not satisfy the financial support requirement. (Recall that you must show that you have at least 6 720 € a year or 560 € a month at your disposal for a year.)

International Wilderness Guide Program

What kind of studies or work experience do you need before you can apply?

None. But we expect that you already do Nature based hobbies like canoeing, hiking, Nature photography, fishing etc. Anything which can tell that you like it out there.

How much is the Course fee?

Course fee is 1000 €. Accommodation in the College's dormitory cost 140 €/month, deposit of the dormitory key 50 €. You do not need to order a place from the dorm in advance as there is space for everyone.

Is there a payment for expeditions?

The expeditions we do are part of the study plan. You do not need to pay for the traveling, only for your food.

What kind of gear do I need?

You need weather proof clothing and a basic wilderness kit: sleeping bag, matress, camp stove, compass, head torch. For winter trips we provide the skis and a sled. During the very first weeks of the program we will visit some outdoor shops. You have then enough time to decide what kind gear you still need.

How does the application process work?

We collect applications continuously until the dead-line date (mid_April). During the last part of April we contact applicants by e-mail to agree upon the interview. Those living in Finland are invited to Tampere for a face to face interview. People from abroad we contact by Skype.